At some point, your pediatrician in Salt Lake City may decide your child requires a specialist. It may result from an existing medical condition or a potentially serious problem. Whatever the reason, a specialist in pediatrics may be the best response to the situation. Your primary pediatrician will help you with the selection, recommending options and providing you with the initial and ongoing contact.
Those who specialize within the field of pediatrics undergo further training in a specific field of study in this area. Pediatric specialists take further courses and engage in concentrated study in their chosen subspecialty. A specialist can spend anywhere from 3-6 years in residency growing expertise in their particular area of focus. After extensive preparation, testing and evaluation, they emerge as a skilled practitioner in their particular medical subspecialty. Among the ones, your own pediatrician may recommend are: (huh?)
- Pediatric Cardiologist – relates to hearts and heart-health in children
- Pediatric Dentist – handles children’s dental health
- Pediatric Endocrinologist – treats hormonal imbalances
- Pediatric Neurosurgeon – operates on the brain
- Pediatric Oncologist – treats cancer in children
- Pediatric Ophthalmologist – specializes in eye and vision care
- Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon – treats conditions of the musculoskeletal system
Essentially, in Salt Lake City, you can locate pediatricians who focus solely on common or rare conditions in children.
Primary Pediatrics and Specialists
If your primary doctor in pediatrics recommends a specialist, listen carefully to his or her advice. Be certain you understand the specifics. You must know what specialist your child will require. Whether it is a complex problem, disability or chronic illness, your pediatrician will be able to work with you and the pediatric specialist to ensure your child receives the type of treatment necessary. Communication skills and expertise in relationships is essential, particularly if the pediatric specialist resides outside your residential area of in Salt Lake City.